The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
is an all -India Examination conducted by the six Indian Institutes
of Technology and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, on behalf
of the National Coordinating Board - GATE,
Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
We are providing detailed information for SYLLABUS
and Structure of GATE , Question
Paper Structure , General
Information about GATE
. Get information about GATE
Eligibility , How
to Apply for GATE
Dates For GATE
We are providing GATE
Sample Papers For GATE
Exams , Some Tips
& Tricks , GATE
Exam Cities , Discipline
Codes , College
Code , GATE
Score and many more information about GATE.
OBJECTIVES OF GATE
- Identify, at the National level, meritorious and motivated candidates
for admission to Postgraduate Programmes in Engineering, Technology,
Architecture, Science and Pharmacy.
- Serve as a mandatory qualification for the MHRD scholarship/assistantship.
- Serve as benchmark of normalization of the Undergraduate Engineering
Education in the
Why should we take GATE:
To pursue M.Tech program in a leading institute
of the country. The benefits of M.Tech are:
- More and better companies are coming for
Campus Placement in leading Institutes
- Higher salaries are being offered for M.Tech
as compared to B.E.
- M.Tech degree leads to specialization and
furthering of interest in a certain area which may lead to Ph.D
- M.Tech degree is a must for those wishing
to apply for Faculty/Research positions in educational Institutes/R&D
- Scholarship is paid during M.Tech, so no
headache to parents for financial requirements.
- The M.Tech program is a 3 semester (18 months)
program; so get more time to work out career opportunities.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY to get to be a part of
any Nationally reputed Educational Institute and enjoy learning
- Availability of GATE forms: October, 1st
- Last Date for filling up forms: November,
- Exam Date: 2nd Sunday of February
- Results: March 31st
General Information and Results are also published
on the Web.
- The examination is a single paper of 3 hours
duration and generally consists of Section A (Objective Type)
which is of 75 marks and Section B (Problem Type) which is of
75 marks. Total: 150 marks.
- You have to opt for your subject and study
as per the syllabus mentioned in the GATE brochure (available
in the Library).
- The subjects of our interest are Computer
Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering.,
Electrical Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering. Other
subjects are also available such as Mathematics, Physics, etc
(consult the GATE brochure).
- Generally a large number of students appear
for the Computer Science subject in order to do a M.Tech in Computer
- Old question papers are available in the
- Results of qualified candidates in GATE
will give All India Rank and indicate percentile score. For example,
a percentile score of 99 means you are in the top 1% category
of the candidates who appeared for GATE.
- Candidates who get less than 70 percentile
get no score card.
- GATE scores are valid for 2 years. You may
reappear the GATE exam if you are not satisfied with the earlier
score and the new score (if better than the old one) will be used
for admission purposes.
After the Exam, what next:
- After publication of GATE results, students
must apply to individual Institutes to get their application forms.
- Institutes advertise M.Tech admissions in
leading newspapers from 1st April till end July. However
some Institutes do not advertise and therefore students have to
get the forms themselves.
- In the application forms, you have to mention
your GATE score alongwith other details.
- The concerned Institute may conduct written
test and/or interview for the purpose of admission.
- General thumb rules: If your Gate score
in Computer Science is 96 percentile or more then you can try
for IITs, if between 85 - 96 percentile, then apply for top RECs,
JADAVPUR, SHIBPUR, ROORKEE, etc. If less than 85, you have to
look for appropriate institutes.
During the pursuit of M.Tech, you are paid
a scholarship of Rs. 5000.00 per month by the Government of India.
This amount is enough for living expenses including purchase of
books, etc. The scholarship is paid for the entire 18 months M.Tech
I encourage 3rd year students to
also appear GATE alongwith Final Year students since:
- GATE score is valid for 2 years.
- The syllabus as required by GATE is generally
over by 5th semester.
- Anyway, it will be a good try ! If it is
a bad score you can always try again.